Sunday, February 2, 2014

Measurement!

This week we have been working with measurement. In third grade measurement consists of length of customary units and metric units. Also, we measure time, perimeter, area and temperature.

Wednesday:
To start this week off we made a foldable. We talked individually about each unit we will measure (unit, foot and yard). After we discussed the inch the students went around and measured items that look like an inch. We did this with the other units as well. The only thing we could not measure, but we mentioned, was a mile. We also discussed the difference between customary and non-customary units. The students really liked it.
*To help measure inches I made sure students used the TEA math reference materials.

Thursday:
We used line segments to measure to the nearest inch. I first used classroom items to measure to the nearest inch. I used the TEA math reference material to measure items to the nearest inch. I always started at zero on the ruler when comparing to the nearest inch. After a few examples of this I stopped measuring from the zero. In both classes no one caught on and added the extra inches.  I immediately fixed this misconception and we continued with a few more before moving to a worksheet with line segments. After each example I had students talk in groups to help each other discuss the nearest inch. I also introduced what a line segment is when they started the worksheet.  I had the students do the worksheet independently while I walked around and assisted struggling students.

Friday:
Friday we did the same activity but we covered to the nearest half inch. I also extend by first reviewing nearest inch then adding nearest half-inch. Both of my classes did wonderful. I had them do a practice sheet to find the nearest inch and half inch.  I was really impressed with how my students picked up on measurement so quickly.

We had an ice day so no school on Tuesday. Monday we finished the unit of fractions on a number line. You can find fractions on a number line at my TPT store or click the image below.



I also made an end of the unit assessment over measurement. You can click the picture below to get it at my TPT store.




I also made a checkpoint for measuring to the nearest inchand nearest half inch.  You can get it at my TPT store for FREE!!! It has 15 questions that is all STAAR related. The centimeter and inch checkpoint unit will be uploaded soon too!

I started making materials because there are things out there that do not work for my students. I make items that will work for my students and that will meet their needs. I make sure everything is STAAR related but extends students thinking. Everything is open ended and no multiple answer choices. I notice that my students do a lot better when they do get answer choices. 

I went to a training recently over the new TEKS and wow. Third grade is going to pick up a lot of Geometry next year. This will be interesting and fun. I was never a huge geometry fan but after teaching it last year it has become one of my favorite subjects to teach. 

A quick run down of other things outside of the major lesson is I am writing a lesson for my guided math (pictographs), making stations (adding new ones..fun), and writing a lesson for tutorials we start on Tuesday. oh, I will have a huge unit up hopefully by the end of the day over all math TEKS for third grade. They are cards students will paste onto card stock paper and solve. This will be like a warm-up and the students will ring clip their work together and it will be their resource book for STAAR. Example below...


I wish I would have done this since the beginning of the school year. I am working on that currently. That is just math.. haha.. I still have science. I need to research animals for students to find the animals inherited traits and learned behavior and write about them. I think they will love this. We discussed a raccoon and its adaptability. Students loved it. 

I better get going and get this done soon, it is SUPER BOWL day!!!

Until Next Time,

-PFons-

No comments:

Post a Comment